Sunday, July 19, 2009

The 12th Boryeong Mud Festival

This past weekend, I got to attend the Boryeong Mud Festival down in Daecheon Beach. It was kind of weird to see so many foreigners. But the whole experience was a lot of fun. I did participate in some traditional Korean wrestling called 씨름. Here is what you do.

You both start out on your knees and grab the other person by their belt. (In our case, we just grabbed their shorts by the waist.) You both stand up and begin wrestling. The object is to get the opponent on the ground. I wrestled this one Korean who apparently is some sort of amateur boxer and won! Then, his friend who was a little bigger than me asked if we could wrestle. I said yes and well, he won. After he beat me, he hugged me and said, "It's okay, you are still handsome."

After playing in this tub of mud, we got out and walked around. My friends and I walked to the beach and jumped into the ocean. I was surprised that is wasn't too cold. The wind was blowing pretty hard and made things quite cold, but the ocean was actually a decent temperature. Then, we met up with the others and had some lunch. I am not sure the name of the place because I did not have my glasses on. But it was decent food. Once we were all full, we decided to get muddy again. This time, we got into what they call the "Mud Jail." Here, you stand in this "jail cell" and people sling mud at you. I then hugged my friend, 유정 who no longer had mud on her.

All in all, it was a great time. A good chance to ignore all those times when we were children and told not to play in mud. If you are in Korea around July next year, this is one event you should check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment