Saturday, October 3, 2009

추석 (Chuseok)

I know I should be writing about what I have been doing in the past, but then I thought about this weekend and wanted to go ahead and write about my first 추석 in Korea. I am sure you understand.

Well, I am sitting on the floor of my church and just thinking about the past weekend. It was 추석 which I have already mentioned is like Korea's thanksgiving. It has been a good relaxing weekend. I have been able to hang out with some old friends and met some new ones. Thursday, I met with 정길 who introduced me to 김다헤 (Kim Ta-hae.) We met up for dinner and then tried to get coffee. We walked into a Coffee Bean, but it was too crowded so we decided to head over to the Dunkin' Donuts because it had less people and comfy couches. However, when we arrived, we were informed the second floor (the floor with the comfy couches) was closed. We decided to leave and look for another place. We found a coffee shop that I think was open 24 hours. We chatted for 30 minutes or so and then headed to our homes.

On Friday, I slept in which apparently means sleeping till 8 or a little after. I didn't do too much. I wanted a few days to just relax and that is what I did. I made some sandwiches and had some coffee. Afterward, I met up with my friend 동주. We met up in 건대 for some chicken. After dinner, we did the Korean thing and went to a second place. He suggested a bar, so we went there. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was a lot of fun. We played darts and then began to have fun bets with the bartenders there who began playing with us. Before we left, they put on a little show where they made some drinks and set part of the bar on fire (completely intentional.) Afterwards, we began to leave, at which point one of the bartenders stood in the doorway and told us we couldn't leave. After joking around for a little bit, my friend and I left. When I find out the name of the bar, I will write that in. It will be a place I will visit again. It was just a fun atmosphere.

Saturday came around and again I slept in. (8 am) I again just rested around my apartment, made food and what not. I met up with some friends to discuss the 48 hour film competition we are entering. We discussed things we should be aware of and some things we shouldn't do. As long as we stay focused, I believe we have a good chance to put something good together. After the meeting, I met up with my friend 바우 for dinner. We ended up meeting around 8:30 pm and had my favorite Korean meal. We went to this little place in 서현 that I have been to several times. Also, I think every time I have gone, I have been with different people which the waiter pointed out to us last night. It's a good place. Look forward to many more meals there. After dinner, we decided to go watch a movie. We went to 죽전 and watched "Surrogates." It was an okay movie. The story was okay and acting was decent. I didn't think it was anything too special. It was also really weird to see Bruce Willis airbrushed.

And now I sit at church waiting for the service to begin. After church, I will probably go home and cook some lunch. Then, I will meet with 다혜 and try some traditional rice cake that is eaten on 추석. I am kind of excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment