Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Larry David Should Move to Korea

If Larry David thought he had awkward moments in the States, he should move to a country where people speak a different language.

Today, while riding on the subway to rehearsals, I got a phone call from my realtor. She, nor anyone in the office, speaks any English.

*Also, it is difficult to spell out how Korean sounds in English so maybe to all those who can't read Korean; you will understand how frustrated I was during this situation.

Realtor 1: 여보세요.

Me: Hello. 여보세요.

Realtor 1: 쟈니예요?
*쟈니 is Johnny in Korean. One of the ways to spell it that is.

Me:네

This is where I can no longer understand the situation. A lot is said in Korean and I understand words such as bank and deposit. However, I have no clue what they were saying. Then, I hear, "One moment please."

Realtor 2: 여보세요.

Me: 여보세요.

Realtor 2: 쟈니예요?

Me: 네. 네.

Then, she says the same exact thing the first person said... all in Korean. I tell them I do not understand in Korean. Then, I hear, "One moment please."

Realtor 3: 여보세요.

Me: 여보세요.

Realtor 3: 쟈니예요?

Me: 네.

Again, the same thing is repeated all in Korean. At this point I have given up on trying to even speak Korean. On several occasions I said I was meeting a friend and would call them back all in Korean. They just said okay and kept talking. Then, this happened.

Me: I'm meeting a friend. I will call you back.

Realtor 3: What?

Me: I'm meeting a friend and I will call you back.

Realtor 3: What? (In the back ground I hear, "어뗳게" which is what Koreans say when they don't know what to do.)

Me: I will call you back.

Realtor 3: Okay.

After about 15 minutes of this conversation, I finally hang up. Then, they apparently realized they knew my teacher's number who is Korean and called her and had her talk to me. Apparently, if the same thing is said by three different people, you will eventually understand what is being said. This gave my friends and I something to laugh about later at dinner.

Just in case you are wondering, everything is going well with the house. They apparently couldn't find the money I deposited, but eventually did find it. Not sure how they couldn't find it, but at least it was found and I am still able to move in on Sat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment