Friday, April 24, 2009

Let the Right One In


About a week ago, I was told by a friend I should watch the movie called Let the Right One In. I checked out the trailer and thought it would be interesting. But with the business and what not, I forgot about it. Then, while looking for a movie to watch, I saw it. While I was contemplating on getting it, a friend walked in and asked if I had watched it. He said it was good and that I should see it. So, I thought maybe this was fate and decided to watch it.

Let the Right One In is a Swedish film directed by Tomas Alfredson. The film tells the story of a 12 year old boy who develops a friendship with a girl who appears to be the same age. The girl moves in next door to the boy with her guardian. This girl also happens to be a vampire.

Now, this is not your typical vampire movie. At times it can seem a little slow, but overall I enjoyed it. I liked the change they made in this movie. It is more about the friendship of the boy and the girl, rather than about her being a vampire. Some of us have probably wondered what it would be like to have a vampire as a friend and this movie gives us a glimpse of that. It shows just what we would have to go through in order to sustain this kind of friendship.

I would recommend this movie if you are looking for good story telling and enjoy some good folklore. There are a few parts that seem somewhat out of place and confusing. But overall the film is good. However, if you are looking for your typical vampire movie, this is not it. Rent Lost Boys or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. Good Flick.

    It would be a shame if the rumors are true about an American remake.

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, American filmmakers do like to take really amazing films and turn them into rubbish.

    ReplyDelete